Consulting Engineer (Gen)
Surry, VA 23883 US
• Standard Design Quals (REQUIRED)
• We need folks with utility side design quals, from utilities that have INPO accredited Training and Qualification programs.
• IF they don’t have nuclear utility design quals we can transfer, we just cannot use them. Under our procedures, we MUST have (paper) qualified engineers to perform reviews of design packages.
• Need strategic thinkers and spec writers; can’t do that without experience
• Spec writing, technical writing, engineering writing
• Experience with design change process; standard qualifications for design changes
• Emerson Ovation – tons of people outside of nuclear have this experience and we are willing to entertain those people
• Can be difficult to attract people to nuclear because of the documentation so we may have to dip outside of the nuclear well to find people – chemical or mechanical backgrounds
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Experience with Industrial Control Systems such as Distributed Control Systems (DCS) and/or Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) systems and associated control system devices, computers, communications, and networks;
• Demonstrated hands-on experience with power generation Industrial Control Systems and skills in the use of advanced control techniques;
• In-depth knowledge of industry advances in control system monitoring, testing and analysis of control equipment; and controls theory;
• Knowledge and experience of power plant controls, steam turbine control systems, combustion turbine control systems, balance of plant control systems;
• Knowledge and experience of electrical and electronics theory;
• Strong technical leadership skills and strong verbal/written communication skills;
• Computer packaged software skills
• What soft skill requirements do you have (team fit and personality requirements)?
o Strong communication skills both verbal and written
o Ability to lead, collaborate, or work effectively in a variety of teams, including multi-disciplinary teams
• High Level Project Overview:
o Accountability for schedule and technical quality of engineering tasks with client expectations, scope, budget, and schedule.
o Provide on-site assistance during design, planning, and construction of digital control system upgrades
o Provide decision making support for all aspects of the process control, instrumentation, and automation upgrade projects
o Control panel design, including power and environmental considerations
o Knowledge of instrumentation including temperature, pressure, flow, and analytical instrumentation. Understand the principles of operations, terminology, safety considerations, and applications for common analytical instruments
o Knowledge of control valves including valve sizing, positioner selection, and integration into DCS
o Experience with HART devices
o Experience with virtualized server architectures
o Familiarity with NEI 08-09 Cyber Security controls and software tools to implement them
o Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
o Forward thinking, eager to learn best practices, and contribute with innovative ideas
o Displayed ability to learn quickly and driven to broaden knowledge base
• Preferred Years of Experience:
o • 6+ years of directly related Instrumentation and Controls (I&C) experience working on power plants or related heavy industrial applications.
• An Engineering Degree from and ABET Accredited Institution
o Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
• Are there any specific companies/industries you’d like to see in the candidate’s experience?
o Familiarity with nuclear power plant environments