Wyandotte, MI 48192 US
We are looking for a highly motivated individual requiring experience with polymers and material science. Some experience with microfluidics would also be a positive.
The successful candidate will join the Formulation Research group located in Tarrytown, NY to develop novel proof-of-concept type formulations for industrial related applications. This group is an integral part of the company’s Advanced Materials and Systems Research.
Day to day activities will involve developing and optimizing complex solid and liquid formulations for industrial applications. Activities will include working with novel material creation technologies and optimizing formulation performance. The individual will work on highly motivated project teams with defined targets and milestones.
This position will also require close interaction with different internal research groups and businesses on a global level. In addition, the team maintains and supports numerous collaborations with external partners, including universities and other organizations.
• A Ph.D. in chemistry, polymer, or materials science
• Research experience with characterizing materials and material properties
• Experience developing and optimizing complex solid and liquid formulations
• Strong analytical skills to interpret data and results with ability to plan next steps
• Documenting results, writing reports, and communicating with presentations
• Capable of working in a team environment utilizing shared resources under challenging time limits
• Respect timeline and milestones with a sense of urgency
• Understanding and respecting the importance of IP
• Must be innovative with a strong entrepreneurial drive
- PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, polymer engineering, or a related field, from an accredited US university
- Significant research experience in polymer synthesis, structural, thermal, and mechanical characterization of polymer samples
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Previous experience with polyurethane polymers, including synthesis, processing, and characterization is preferred
- Previous experience with polymer melt extrusion and rheology is preferred
- Previous experience with polymer characterization techniques including differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA), thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), FT-IR spectroscopy, gel permeation chromatography (GPC), solution and solid-state NMR, and viscosity analysis, is preferred
- Previous experience with characterizing tensile properties of polymers is preferred