Jackson, MI 49201 US
Quality Control Specialist I
A chemical structure is only as strong as the bonds between the molecules. At Chemetall/Client, the strength of the bonds lies not just in the chemicals but is also mirrored in the links forged between the global companies and employees of the Chemetall/Client world.
We are a company with highly qualified talent, who give their contribution each and every day across the different sectors to make the Chemetall/Client difference. We demonstrate uncompromising ethics and appreciation for our employees, as well as respect for the environment. Chemetall/Client is a leading specialty chemical company whose quality, innovation, and service exceed the expectations of our customers.
Where the Chemistry Happens…
The successful candidate will have the ability to perform quality control test methods with a high degree of accuracy, proficiency and use good laboratory standard practices in support of Batch Manufacturing. The Quality Control Specialist I is responsible for adjustments made to batches, when necessary, in the support of manufacturing which includes diagnosis and experimentation of non-conforming material to meet product specifications. Other responsibilities include maintaining a clean/organized work area, laboratory equipment validation, monitoring supplies, gage R&R studies, upkeeping calibration records and responding to customer complaints and quality concerns.
Formula for success: You will…
• Complete all work with a commitment & focus on following all aspects of the guiding principles of Client Responsible Care.
• Prepare and sign all related documentation where necessary
• Work with root cause analysis on product quality concerns
• Maintain laboratory equipment
• Perform required quality control tests of manufactured goods and raw materials to ensure conformity to material specifications
• Maintain lab calibration/validation/verification records and logs
• Maintain a clean/organized laboratory work area
• Interact with R&D/Management with Quality Concerns and Investigations
• Cross-train within all aspects of the QC laboratory including, but not limited to, equipment and procedures in order to cover other specialists
• Support improvement programs
• Supports laboratory accreditation activities
• Assists laboratory in method validations (gage R&R) and measurement uncertainty, as needed
• Includes any other additional duties required to help and support the QC Laboratory
Ingredients for success: What we look for in you…
• Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, etc. (will consider Associate’s Degree with equivalent experience)
• Exposure in a manufacturing environment with experience in wet chemistry including, but not limited to, colorimetric or potentiometric titration methodology, specific gravity and bulk density, viscosity, surface tension, volumetric and gravimetric analysis, pH, conductivity, cloud point, dissolved solids, turbidity, and moisture (Karl Fischer titration)
• Awareness of Analytical Instrumentation principles and operation (spectroscopy)
• Basic Knowledge of Quality Standards (ISO 9001/TS16949/ISO17025)
• Competent knowledge of Acids & Bases, Cationic/Anionic/Nonionic Surfactants, Natural and petroleum oils and distillates, saponification, ION exchange principles, and solubility of substances
• Awareness of product usage and applications in general terms; Coolants, Cleaners, Phosphates, Surface Treatment, etc.
• Excellent skills with MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Lotus Notes, SAP inventory database, and PLC software operation
• Self-motivated with direction
• Ability to Multi-Task
• Demonstrate analytical thinking and problem-solving ability
• Demonstrate the consistent use of appropriate personal protective equipment and knowledge of safety procedures